Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Italian Vegetable Soup (like Minestrone)

This soup is one of my favorites and pretty healthy too!

15 oz. tomato sauce
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup onion (I'm not a huge onion fan, so I usually just shake in some dry ones for flavor)
1 cup celery- chopped. (I pre-cook this in my microwave steamer for 3-5 min)
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup zucchini-sliced
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 large can stewed tomatoes
1 small can stewed tomatoes- for those of you that bottle tomatoes, you can use one quart instead of a large and small can.
1 can kidney beans
2 cups water (I usually double the water, just to get the desired consistency.)
5 tsp. beef bouillon
1 tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups chopped cabbage (I just buy a bag of coleslaw in the bagged salad section)
3/4 cup macaroni or shell pasta

Cook ground beef and set aside.
Add all ingredients except ground beef and pasta. Bring to a boil, then simmer. Add cooked ground beef and pasta. Cook until pasta is cooked. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

No comments: